Have you ever had one of those weeks where you ask yourself “why me?!”? Maybe you dinged your car, received a huge unexpected bill, lost your job or your pet died. Maybe all of these things happened at once… and then you dropped your coffee on your way into work.. when you were already running late… for your performance review.
When life delivers an almighty blow or even just a series of small knocks it can really get us down… and it can be really difficult to pick ourselves back up again, dust ourselves off and get back into it. Sometimes, we just don’t even want to.
Well here’s a reason why you should: picking yourself up after a setback helps build confidence, resilience and makes us stronger and braver than ever before.
Life is a journey, it’s not always easy and people don’t always succeed. It’s important when going through one of these challenging phases to keep the following in mind:
- Don’t rely on other people to come in and save you. Whilst you should definitely use additional support if you need it, it’s important to stand on your own two feet and make the choice to get back on the wagon. It’s not always easy, it’s not always pretty, but it’s the best way to build up that inner toughness we call resilience.
- Keep perspective – maybe it has been a bad day, week or even year. But that doesn’t mean it won’t ever get better.
- Believe in yourself – you have the power and ability to stand back up again. You are in the driver’s seat of your life. You can make the decision to change directions, speed up or take the scenic route. You can do it.
- Take time out for you – sometimes all you need is to be kind and patient with yourself. Self-care is so incredibly important to our wellbeing.
- Recognise when you’re not coping and when additional support is needed. Ask a another family member to take over cooking duties for a few days, explain to your boss you need to reallocate some of your work whilst your get back on top of things, say no to the things you can’t fit into your schedule. It’s not a weakness to ask for help or put yourself first.
If you feel like you may need some additional support or strategies to help get back on top of things, then Mindstar might be able to help.